MPCH2 OCIP personal reflections
‘Mission Peaceful Children Home?’
At this point in time we were just told of this place, and as fate would have it, Shariff managed to hunt down a great deal for the airfare by stalking the SilkAir website, booked tickets for 15-25 December, and we were all set to go for the trip! Except that we had to collect the logistics, plan the activities, formulate the lessons, ensuring our vaccinations and doxycycline supply, and most importantly, knowing with determination that we are ready and all set to really bring about a change in the children’s lives at MPCH2.
There were slight hiccups along the way before we depart for Cambodia, but as I mentioned they were slight and easily overcome by us smart students. It is indeed a team effort, already evident before the trip when we met up for committee discussions, preparing and packing the logistics, and just reminding one another to take their doxycycline pills. Even on the 14th, I still cannot believe that I’ll be going to Cambodia for not 5, not 7, but 11 days! I have to admit, embarrassingly, that even at the airport when we are about to board the plane, I still cannot remember some of the M1s’ names (with apologies). I feel a tad ill-prepared and uncertain, yet I am already lugging my model teeth along and about to say ‘hi!’ to the pretty air stewardesses.
Visiting the Home for the first time was really an eye-opener. We were briefed beforehand, that the kids may get ‘touchy’ with visitors and just swarm around us fresh faces from Singapore. However, when we alight, it wasn’t so bad at all, they come at a comfortable distance, they smile, and they wave at us excitedly, displaying true Cambodian hospitality and making us feel very welcomed. Our first meal there was duck curry with baguette. Coming from clean and green Singapore, I was initially a little apprehensive about the food, but then decided with a clenched fist (drama) that I’m here to experience Cambodian culture and lifestyle and duck curry it is!
We were very well fed throughout our stay in the Home, and served very well by the children there. Initially we were uncomfortable with us sitting there around the table and some of the older children running around serving us rice and drinks. However we realized this is their way of showing their appreciation and hospitality to their guests (us) and by rejecting them and taking over their duties of serving us food, they would be the ones feeling bad. This is one lesson I will never forget: we may be there to serve them by renovating their dormitories and teaching health lessons, but they show their gratitude by ensuring we are well fed during meal times; hospitality is two-way.
It is very heartening to see the children really listening and paying attention to the lessons and enjoying the activities planned for them. I cannot describe how I felt when I saw some of the younger children washing their hands using the methods we taught them after the lesson, and throughout our stay there we were gifted with seeing them brushing their teeth and washing their hands correctly, and we were really glad we had made such a difference and such an impact on their daily lives.
Some of the children there are orphans. They did not enjoy the same love we have from all our parents, the constant naggings and the reminders that we might already take for granted. Hence it is very heartening to see a form of ‘hierarchy’ present. For example, I witnessed a 9-year-old boy, while playing with the other children, pushed a small boy (2-3 years old, perhaps), down to the ground and made the little boy cry. Immediately, the game ceases, and a girl (of maybe 10 years old), comes, carries the boy and attempts to pacify it while scolding the bigger boy. She then continues to carry the boy around, caressing his hair, comforting the boy until he stops crying and falls asleep. Such is the care and love they have for one another, it really moved me to witness this, and just reminds me what I am at the Home for.
There were some times when they use their index fingers and ‘poke’ our waist, and enjoy seeing us ‘jump’ and react to that. To us, it might be annoying after some time, but to them, it is a way of involving us and communicating with us. Very few children speak English at a standard good enough to sustain a conversation; most speak the native Khmer language. We have no common language, no common topic, no common cultures, and them getting ‘touchy’ might serve as a means to interact with us and playing with us. I’ve since learnt a few Khmer phrases to converse with them, like ‘Sa-arth’ which means ‘nice’, and ‘prath-songha’ which means ‘cute boy’ (I say this in a self-depreciating tone).
During our stay there we managed to administer a few simple bandages to some of the children who have fresh wounds. As I helped in the first-aid, I can’t help but realize that some of the children were decorated with wounds, cuts and scars here and there, and prior to this they receive little, if no, first-aid attention at all. It marvels me how hardy and resilient these children are, filling me with awe and respect. Sometimes when they play in the dirt path they don’t wear their slippers (no shoes I suppose), and minor pebbles scattered around might cut into their feet or hands. This is brushed aside, and the fun continues.
As goal-oriented students we may neglect the children’s feelings when we go about renovating their dormitories, leaving the children out when we are painting the beds and walls as we have a task to complete. However, the dormitories belong to the children; they stay in the dormitories, and by participating it gives them a greater sense of belonging and ownership. Furthermore, this is an extension of their great hospitality: not letting guests do such work alone and be there to always help and assist. I’m greatly humbled.
Every night as we depart from MPCH2, the air would be filled with waves and cries of goodbye; the children can’t bear to see us return to our guest house and we, on one hand, cannot bear to say goodbye, but on the other hand, fatigue invades our body and occupies every corner, and a bath at the guest house is on top of everyone’s wish list. This, until the final day, when we bid them the final goodbye.
The final day, we sent the children to school, like proud parents. Eyes were on us as us foreigners and fresh faces enter the school much to the interest and amusement of some of the students there. However, the children from the Home were very proud we were there, giving them support and telling them to study hard. To them, it may be a form of encouragement and motivation we were happy to offer. Right just before we left, the children put up a traditional Khmer dance performance for us to show their appreciation and to wish us luck. I can tell they were sad to see us leave; we were, too. We painted our Singapore flag in the canteen following the Home’s request, and it was indeed a proud moment for us all, knowing that we have made a huge impact on their lives.
Indeed language may pose a barrier, but actions know no barrier.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home